Manslaughter charges have been brought to court against the supervisors of a human catapult in Somerset, which in November 2002 tragically claimed the life of a first-year biochemistry student from Wadham. Kostadin Yankov, who had only come up to Oxford a few weeks previously, died after an event arranged through the Oxford Stunt Factory. His friends watched as ‘Dino’ fell “inches” short of the safety net, incurring serious spinal and leg injuries. He was immediately airlifted to Frenchay Hospital, Bristol, but died five hours later. It has emerged, however, that the device operators, Richard Wicks, 33 and David Aitkenhead, 45, may have been guilty of gross negligence. In Bristol Crown Court, the jury was told that the pair had been warned by an ambulance worker that there was cause for serious concern after four other students fell significantly short of the centre of the safety net. Despite this, they had taken no action to improve safety. Philip Mott, QC, prosecuting, described the defendants’ decision to use a new, untested, sling on the day of Mr Yankov’s death as “scarily reckless”. He speculated that “if the old sling had been used, Dino Yankov would have made it to the net.” The trial continues.ARCHIVE: 0th week TT 2004
A review of all the retail trading statements issued on the London Stock Exchange during the first quarter of 2007 has shown an increase in the number of positive statements, suggesting that the retail environment may be improving, said business and financial adviser Grant Thornton.The Grant Thornton Quoted Retail Companies Index has shown that 44% of all listed retailers issued positive trading statements for the first three months of the year – up from the 33% of positive statements issued in 2006. And 46% issued neutral statements leaving only 10% to issue negative statements.David Bush, head of Grant Thornton’s retail services team said: “This quarter’s results have been buoyed by the strong increase experienced in the food and drink sector, with 83% of grocers issuing positive trading statements during the quarter.”
Source: Prewett’sGluten-free specialist Prewett’s has launched a range of enrobed sandwich biscuits.There are two variants in the range – Enrobed Vanilla Creams and Enrobed Orange Creams. Both feature chocolate biscuits covered in Belgian milk chocolate with flavoured cream centres.Waitrose will be the first major retailer to stock the biscuits, which will be sold in six-packs for an rsp of £2.29 in 123 of the retailer’s stores from Monday 23 November. Prewett’s Cookie & Cream Sandwich Biscuits have also gained a listing in Waitrose, joining its Jammy Wheels, Dark Chocolate & Ginger cookies, Chocoful and Milk Choc Digestives on shelves.The NPD will help retailers meet the growing demand from consumers looking for more indulgent treats in the gluten-free section, the company said.“After successfully launching free from ‘enrobed’ sandwich biscuits into the private label market, we understood there was an obvious opportunity in the market for these lines to be developed for the Prewett’s brand,” said Neil McAndry, managing director of Northumbrian Fine Foods which manufactures Prewett’s.“2020 has seen a significant trend in indulgence and flavour, which are two key characteristics of ‘Enrobed Vanilla Creams’ and ‘Enrobed Orange Creams’. Demand for sandwich biscuits is also high on the consumer agenda, which again is reflected in the new products.”
Five computer scientists will join the faculty of the Harvard Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) this fall, as part of a plan funded by former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to increase by 50 percent the size of Harvard’s computer-science faculty.The new faculty members are Boaz Barak and Madhu Sudan, both Gordon McKay Professor of Computer Science; Scott Kuindersma, assistant professor of engineering and computer science; James Mickens, associate professor of computer science; and Alexander “Sasha” Rush, assistant professor of computer science.Adding Barak and Sudan to the faculty builds on a long tradition of excellence in theoretical computer science at Harvard.“A defining characteristic of our computer science program is that it is outward-facing,” said Francis J. Doyle III, who became the John A. Paulson Dean of SEAS last month. “Our faculty collaborate with colleagues across Harvard — from law, medicine, government, and business to the social sciences and humanities. I am confident that these superb additions to our computer-science faculty will complement our interdisciplinary approach and make important contributions to the field.”During a discussion at Sanders Theatre this past November, Steve Ballmer ’77 relayed his belief that “everything is a technology problem,” and that technology, ultimately, drives progress. File photo by Rose Lincoln/Harvard Staff Photographer“Computer science at Harvard today is small, but excellent,” Ballmer said when he announced his game-changing gift last year. “It already punches above its weight. With depth in systems, data, machine learning, and artificial intelligence, it is focused on high-impact specialties that are literally changing the world.”The rapidly growing SEAS is the newest of the University’s 12 Schools, having transitioned in 2007 from a division to its current status. It was renamed the Harvard Paulson School in June in recognition of a $400 million endowment gift, the largest in Harvard’s history, from John A. Paulson, M.B.A. ’80.The number of undergraduate computer-science concentrators has increased by a factor of four since 2007, and the percentage of female students has also grown. Meanwhile, more Harvard students pursuing other disciplines are enrolling in CS courses.In the coming years, computer science and other parts of SEAS will expand into new, state-of-the-art facilities on Harvard’s campus in Allston.For more on these and other SEAS appointments, visit here.
Photo Courtesy of Bill Sublette/SELCEarly last month, Duke Power announced that it was reevaluating a plan to build a controversial transmission line in the Western Carolinas.Now, in the face mounting opposition from land owners, conservation groups, and local governments in both North and South Carolina, the power giant has decided to abandon the project altogether.The proposed power line would have run for 40-plus miles through the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains from Asheville, North Carolina to Campabello, South Carolina, as part of a broader project Duke had dubbed the “Western Carolinas Modernization Project.”This strongly contested proposal also included the construction of a large natural gas unit near Asheville which Duke had hoped would replace a recently retired coal fired plant, and a power substation in Campabello.The company posted a statement on its website this morning saying that the both the 45-mile transmission line and the Campbell Substation have been abandoned, while the size of the proposed natural gas plant near Asheville has been reduced.“Under the revised plan, (we) will replace (our) coal plant in Asheville with two smaller gas units rather than one large one,” the statement reads. “As a result, the proposed 45-mile Foothills Transmission Line and Campobello substation are no longer necessary.”When plans for the project were unveiled over the summer, opposition began to surface almost immediately. Thousands of citizens across the western Carolinas turned up at public meetings to decry Duke’s plans, while commenters flooded Duke’s website with negative reactions, and an online petition asking Duke to terminate the project garnered nearly 6,000 signatures.“Duke Energy’s decision to abandon its proposed power line and substation is a victory for the thousands of citizens across the western Carolinas who have stood up to protect the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Piedmont,” said Frank Holleman, senior attorney, Southern Environmental Law Center. “Through their efforts, our mountains and our quality of life have been protected against this power line and substation. This Thanksgiving, we can be thankful that our communities and our mountains will be protected against these two threats. We hope that in the future Duke Energy will look turn away from old fossil fuels and turn toward modern clean alternatives like solar, wind, and energy efficiency. ”
By Dialogo June 16, 2009 Managua, June 14 (EFE).- Four baby armadillos, one of the species in danger of extinction in Central America, were rescued by the Nicaraguan environmentalist Kamilo Lara, who belongs to the non-governmental organization “Environmental Alert” (Alerta Ambiental.) Lara, who is in charge of the NGO, stated today that the group of armadillos was rescued this weekend in the community of Sabana Grande, in the outskirts of Managua, with the help of the community’s neighbors. The environmentalist added that the animals were under his supervision, and that in a week he would deliver them to the private veterinary clinic at the University of Commercial Sciences (UCC) in Managua. Later, in approximately two months, they would be returned to their natural habitat. The rescue of these four endangered species pups, three days old each, was achieved by “tricking” a few children, the environmentalist said. “We took the armadillos from them by the use of tricks and promises. The kids were carrying the animals hanging on their shoulders, as if they were nothing important,” he remarked. They failed to rescue the mother of the four armadillos, which was killed by Sabana Grande’s inhabitants while hunting. Lara announced that he would promote the creation rescue centre for wild life, primarily for animals in danger of extinction, because there is no institution of this kind in the country, and no one is working at returning these species to their natural habitat. There are two different species of armadillo in Nicaragua, the scientific name “dasypus novemcinctus,” and they are widely known as “cusuco” or “armadillo de nueve bandas,” one smaller than the other, although both share the same characteristics and habits. It is a solitary nocturnal animal whose shell is made of hard, corneous scales that also cover the head, legs and tail. “Cusucos” or armadillos, move slowly and are harmless; their habitat is dry or open forest areas of Nicaraguan.
“The innovative methodology of this index allows mitigation of the risks of poor corporate governance that are ignored by the classic indices,” said Ethos CEO Vincent Kaufmann. “This provides investors with a better protection from corporate governance risks.”SIX Swiss Exchange is calculating the index on behalf of Ethos.According to the foundation, the index aims to:- Reduce corporate governance risks by underweighting or excluding companies that do not apply best practices;- Reduce the carbon impact of the index by underweighting companies with significant carbon emissions;- Avoid overweighting companies involved in serious controversy;- Avoid overweighting companies that make up more than 15% of the SPI;- Overweight companies that do not fall into one of the above categories.Multiple share classes, combined chairman/CEO roles, and variable pay making up a large part of executive remuneration are among features that will weigh negatively on a company’s inclusion in the index.The new index is being used as the benchmark for the Ethos Equities CH Indexed Corporate Governance fund, managed by Pictet Asset Management. Ethos Foundation, a Swiss pension fund organisation promoting socially responsible investment (SRI), has launched a corporate governance index on the country’s main stock exchange.The new equities index, the Ethos Swiss Corporate Governance Index (ESCGI), weights constituents according to corporate governance best practice criteria, while also taking into account companies’ carbon emissions.It is described as the first index of this type on the Swiss stock market, the SIX Swiss Exchange.The index takes the companies that make up the classic Swiss equity market index, the Swiss Performance Index (SPI), and applies Ethos’ corporate governance principles and criteria to modify the weighting of the companies.
A local Walmart was evacuated over the weekend after employees smelled gas.Customers were shopping Saturday morning at the Aurora Walmart when gas was smelled and it forced employees to usher everyone outside and shut down the store. Firefighters and first responders arrived to the store off U.S. 50 at about 5 a.m.One employee was taken to a hospital as a result.Investigators determined that the smell was linked to malfunctioning heating and air conditioning units on the roof of the store. The store reopened Saturday.
Hope Victoria Peters, age 28, of Connersville, Indiana died suddenly Sunday, April 30, 2017 at her residence in Connersville.Born October 23, 1988 in Louisville, Kentucky she was the daughter of Paul M. Peters & Gloria Smith. She had attended the Laurel Pentecostal Church. She enjoyed drawing, animals, and being outdoors. She was employed at Premier Healthcare in Connersville, Indiana.Survivors include her father, Paul (Cristal Metcalf) Peters of Milan, Indiana, mother, Gloria Smith of Connersville, Indiana; three children, Kaidyn Paul Wilkerson, Elyssia Jean Peters and Maynard Lynch; sisters, Erica (Eric) Bayes of Boise, Idaho; Emily (Shane) Dudley of Sunman, Indiana; Wynonna Metcalf of Milan, Indiana; brothers Justin (Ashley) Peters of Midland, Michigan; Paul William Peters of Connersville, Indiana and Jimmy Metcalf of Milan, Indiana; grandparents, Robert & Wanda Smith of Connersville and Gladys Peters of Brookville, Indiana; 8 nieces & 3 nephews.She was greeted in heaven by two uncles, Scott Smith and Walter Christopher Peters; as well as her paternal grandfather, William C. Peters.Family & friends may visit from 10:00 A.M. until 1:00 P.M. on Thursday, May 4, 2017 at Phillips & Meyers Funeral Home, 1025 Franklin Avenue, Brookville.Pastor Glen Goins and Brother Albert Rose will officiate the Funeral Services on Thursday, May 4, 2017, 1:00 P.M. at Phillips & Meyers Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Laurel North Cemetery in Laurel, Indiana.Phillips & Meyers Funeral Home is honored to serve the family of Hope Peters, to sign the online guest book or send personal condolences please visit www.phillipsandmeyers.com
KNOXVILLE, Iowa (July 14) – IMCA Xtreme Motor Sports Modifieds and Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMods return to Knoxville Raceway for the 23rd annual Harris Clash on Thursday, July 17.Top prize for the Modifieds is $2,000 while Northern SportMods run for $1,000 to win. The Clash is also the fifth event on the XSAN Hawkeye Dirt Tour schedule. IMCA Speedway Motors Weekly Racing National, home region, Allstar Performance State and special series points will be awarded for the 2014 Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational ballot qualifier. Twenty-four cars will qualify for the Modified main event; one past champion’s provisional will be given to the most recent winner who is licensed and competing in weekly IMCA events but who does not qualify. The Modified feature will be 25 laps and pay a minimum of $250 to start. The Northern SportMod feature is 20 laps.Pit gates open at 3 p.m., the draw closes and the drivers’ meeting starts at 6 p.m., hot laps are at 6:30 p.m. and racing starts at 7:15 p.m. Grandstand admission is $15 for adults, $8 for students, $4 for kids ages 6-12 and free for children five and under. Pit passes are $25. Anyone between the ages of 12 and 17 must have a waiver, signed by a parent or guardian, to get into the pit area. That waiver form can be downloaded from the Knoxville Raceway website and must be printed in color. The person the waiver is intended for must be present at time of sign-in.More information is available by calling event promoter Bob Harris at 515 231-1748 and at the www.harrisclash.com and www.knoxvilleraceway.com websites.The Clash is the final event of IMCA’s Hawkeye State Modified Speedweek.