xsh419

first_imgNews Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is relieved that Radio Bonesha journalist Egide Ndayisenga was released today after being held arbitrarily without a warrant for two days, but is concerned that the environment for the media in Burundi continues to be hostile. Four Burundian journalists complete 12 months in arbitrary detention RSF_en The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa BurundiAfrica Condemning abuses Exiled media October 21, 2020 Find out more Follow the news on Burundi BurundiAfrica Condemning abuses Exiled media Help by sharing this information to go further Reportscenter_img June 7, 2016 Radio reporter freed but climate still hostile for media in Burundi News Burundian appeal court upholds prison sentences for four journalists June 5, 2020 Find out more November 27, 2020 Find out more Receive email alerts Radio Bonesha studio after it was it was shot up and ransacked by security forces, May 15, 2015 – JENNIFER HUXTA / AFP Organisation Local sources said Ndayisenga was arrested in the northern province of Cibitoke on 5 June for providing information to Burundian journalists based outside the country and because the authorities regarded his movements in the province as strange. The authorities gave no official explanation for either his arrest or his release. Egide Ndayisenga“Since when has it been a crime in Burundi to provide others with information?” RSF said. “Must we remind the authorities that Burundi’s press law guarantees journalists the right to receive and impart information, and that its constitution guarantees media freedom? This journalist’s arrest was clearly an act of intimidation designed to hamper his work.” Unfortunately, this type of incident has been far from isolated in this central African country since the authorities began gagging independent media outlets in April 2015.The public security ministry issued a press communiqué last week accusing “certain social network activists” and Esdras Ndikumana, an Agence France-Presse and Radio France Internationale correspondent who fled the country last year, of “promoting crime and violence” in Burundi.The French government reacted by expressing “deep concern” about the Burundian communiqué. Ndikumana fled abroad after being badly tortured by Burundian intelligence officials in August 2015.Most of Burundi’s independent radio stations have been closed for more than a year, while the authorities have imposed significant curbs on the editorial content of the few media outlets still operating, and harass foreign journalists in the course of their reporting. Social networks are virtually the only place where news and information about Burundi circulate freely.The official statements portraying journalists as enemies of society soon led to grave threats being voiced against Ndikumana on social networks.Last month, German public broadcaster Deutsche Welle found itself in the regime’s sights when government spokesman Willy Nyamitwe launched a personal attack on one of its reporters, Eric Topona, for daring to call him for a comment on the recruiting of young Burundians into a presidential militia called the Imbonerakure.“Just criticizing or commenting on a government measure is regarded as a suspicious act of opposition nowadays in Burundi,” RSF said. “In these circumstances, it is hard take the authorities seriously when they claim that the situation is getting back to normal for the media.”“The closely controlled reopening of some radio stations falls far short of compensating for the terrible pressure to which the Burundian and international media are still subjected. This continues to be very worrying. The authorities are quietly engineering a chronically enfeebled media landscape and a compliant form of journalism, the only kind that they seem capable of tolerating.” Burundi is ranked 156th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2016 World Press Freedom Index. Newslast_img read more

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisA week long training event took place in Alpena last week to train all Emergency First Responders in the state of Michigan to render to any First Responder who has given their life in the line of duty.Before graduating, the  Michigan Memorial Affairs Team also referred to as SMART had one last assignment to complete and that was to practice their mock funeral of a real Emergency Responder who tragically passed away in 2003.“We actually are honoring the life today and the passing of Deputy Kevin Sherwood from Clare County Michigan. He was a Deputy Sheriff, who was killed in the line of duty in 2003. In order to add a little realism to it for the class his family was kind enough to come and grace us with their presence here. What that does is adds a little pressure to these guys how real this is,” Foley said.Before passing and graduating each officer had to pass each test given. Foley said when it comes to this type of situation it’s sad but you need more hands to help out to honor the fallen men and women.“Unfortunately there’s just no shortage of officers being killed in the line of duty of First Responders as with the military memorial, or any military conflict there are only an infinite numbers of soldiers killed in that line in that conflict. Unfortunately for officers and firefighters it’s ongoing constantly. Everyday they go to work, everyday there’s a possibility that they may not go home. So when that happens somebody has to be trained properly in order to handle these events. Just as the Army, or the Navy, or the Marines do at Arlington Cemetery, these officers are trained the same way on how to handle it here,” Foley explained.The training’s have been held in Alpena for a number of years, the memorial training took place at Little Flanders Field.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: Emergency Responder, Little Flanders, Little Flanders Field, Michigan Memorial Affairs Team, SMARTContinue ReadingPrevious SAFER Grant Would Help Local Fire Departments Save Money & Hire Trained First RespondersNext Alpena Woman Sentenced For Stealing Grandmother’s Credit Cardlast_img read more

first_imgImage Courtesy: BCCL/TwitterAdvertisement xyfzdNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs9tjq95Wingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E45nbg( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) mvvWould you ever consider trying this?😱Can your students do this? 🌚67pfRoller skating! Powered by Firework Its been more than a month since the death of George Floyd, and the Black Lives Matter movement has spread across many countries, as many sportspersons and celebrities have gone vocal on anti-racism and egalitarian sentiments. South African cricketer Lungi Ngidi is the latest name from the sports fraternity to voice his support for the BLM movement, but received criticism from none other than his compatriots, as many former Proteas players took a dig at the young pacer. However, Ngidi has found a support in his stance, as former West Indies star Darren Sammy expresses his solidarity.Advertisement Image Courtesy: BCCL/TwitterLast weekend, Lungi Ngidi spoke up about the history of racial discrimination in his country, and encouraged his teammates to take a stand.“We have spoken about it and everyone is well aware of what’s going on. It’s a difficult one because we are not together, so it’s hard to discuss. But once we get back to playing that is definitely something we have to address as a team,” Advertisement However, Ngidi’s comments were received with criticism from a number of retired SA cricketers, such as Pat Symcox and Boeta Dippenaar who slammed the 24 year old speedster for his support for BLM while not speaking up about the attacks on white farmers of the country.However, Darren Sammy has in turn reprimanded Symcox and Dippenaar back, emphasising on the necessity of the BLM movement. The 36 year old tweeted on Friday: “The fact that some past players have an issue with @NgidiLungi stance on #blacklivesmatter movement is actually the reason why we are still here today saying black lives matter. Smfh 😡😡😡#standupbrother we here with u ✊🏿✊🏿✊🏿✊🏿✊🏿”Advertisement Ever since the Black Lives Matter movement gained pace in the USA and in other parts of the world, Sammy was one of the earliest sportspersons who spoke up about experiencing racism during their careers. The Saint Lucian had stated that he faced racial abuse during his stint with IPL franchise Sunrisers Hyderabad, which although was later tagged as a ‘misleading’ accusation.If you like reading about MMA, make sure you check out MMAIndia.com Also follow India’s biggest arm wrestling tournament at ProPanja.comAlso read-Sourav Ganguly reveals the reason behind fiasco at KKRYoung at heart: Sunil Gavaskar to fund heart surgery for 35 kids on 71st birthday Advertisementlast_img read more