zoom DOF Subsea, a subsidiary of DOF ASA, has entered into an agreement with Otto Candies for the charter of the Jones Act vessel Chloe Candies for a firm period of one year plus one year option.The charter period will commence at the beginning of March 2014. The vessel will be operated by DOF Subsea North America to execute subsea projects.DOF Subsea North America has also entered into a contract securing utilization of the vessel Chloe Candies for 5 + 2 months. In addition, DOF Subsea North America has entered into a contract utilizing Harvey Deep-Sea for 3 months firm + 2 months options.CEO, Mons S. Aase stated that he is very pleased with the contract awards, which further strengthen DOF Subsea’s market position in the Gulf of Mexico.DOF Subsea, March 5, 2014
VANCOUVER – A B.C. safety agency has urged changes for sawmill owners and to the fire and electrical codes in an effort to mitigate the risks posed by explosive levels of wood dust and to avoid the kind of explosion that killed two mill workers last year.The BC Safety Authority, which oversees the safe installation and operation of equipment and administers B.C.’s Safety Standards Act, made nine recommendations in a report Tuesday about wood dust.They include recommending that the Canadian Standards Association classify wood dust as combustible, with improvements to the requirements around natural gas and propane codes.“Wood dust can have explosion and fire hazard characteristics similar to other known dusts that are identified as combustible dusts in the Canadian Electrical Code,” the report said.The report noted the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration has classified fine wood dust as having “strong explosion” characteristics.“Wood dust and potential ignition sources exposed to wood dust are required to be managed. Locations where wood dust accumulates or is suspended in atmosphere are considered hazardous locations.”The BC Safety Authority investigation followed an explosion and fire last year that killed two sawmill workers and injured 20 others at Babine Forest Products on Jan. 20, 2012 near Burns Lake, in B.C.’s north-central Nechako region.The tragedy — the first of two fatal mill explosions in 2012 — destroyed the Babine mill and killed employees Robert Luggie, 45, and Carl Charlie, 42.An investigation already conducted by WorkSafe BC blamed the incident on dry wood dust, which had accumulated from pine-beetle killed wood and was ignited by machine parts.“Our aim was to conduct a thorough investigation and learn all we could to prevent the recurrence of similar incidents,” Greg Paddon, the group’s director of technical programs, said in a media release.“Now we can use that knowledge to initiate improvements toward the management of safety risks.”For mill operators, the authority recommended qualified professionals should identify areas in sawmills with dust hazards that could catch fire, and mills should develop better ways to manage that dust.The fire commissioner should publish a list of qualifications professionals must meet if they want to identify wood dust and explosion hazards, states the report.The report’s recommendations are directed at mill owners and operators, the Office of the Fire Commissioner in B.C., as well as the Canadian Standards Association.Babine Forest Products said in a media release it hasn’t analyzed the report, but the safety agency’s work will ensure sawmills are safer in the future.At the time of the blast, it added, the company had equipment designed to reduce wood dust, but “the scope of the hazard was not fully understood.”The new mill, announced in early December, will include state-of-the-art equipment to collect wood dust at its source, stated the company.“It will have equipment, building and floor plans designed to facilitate cleanup and reduce areas where wood dust can accumulate.”Last year’s second fatal mill explosion took place in April at the Lakeland Mills in Prince George, B.C., killing Alan Little, 43 and Glenn Roche, 46. Many others were seriously injured in the tragedy.In November, WorkSafe BC asked Crown counsel for a review of whether companies and individuals violated the Workers Compensation Act.Spokeswoman Roberta Ellis said at the time that prosecutions under the act could result in maximum fines of $652,000 and jail terms of up to six months.An earlier RCMP investigations ruled out criminal negligence in both explosions.The BC Safety Authority said it wasn’t releasing its full report because Crown counsel is currently reviewing a referral on the mill explosion from WorkSafe BC, the agency that enforces workers’ safety. by Keven Drews, The Canadian Press Posted Jan 15, 2013 8:27 pm MDT BC Safety Authority recommendations in fatal mill fire focus on dust AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email
“The harm inflicted on children around the world does tremendous damage,” said UNICEF Chief of Child Protection Cornelius Williams in a press release on the report, titled A Familiar Face: Violence in the lives of children and adolescents. “Babies slapped in the face; girls and boys forced into sexual acts; adolescents murdered in their communities – violence against children knows no boundaries,” he added. The report uses the latest data to show that children experience violence across all stages of childhood and in all settings. About 60 per cent of one-year-olds in 30 countries with available data are regularly subjected to violent discipline. Nearly a quarter of one-year-olds are physically shaken as punishment and nearly one in 10 are hit or slapped on the face, head or ears. Worldwide, 176 million, or one in four, children under age five are living with a mother who is a victim of intimate partner violence. The report also finds that around 15 million adolescent girls aged 15 to 19 worldwide have experienced forced sexual intercourse or other forced sexual acts in their lifetime. Only one per cent of adolescent girls who had experienced sexual violence said they reached out for professional help.VIDEO: Recognize it. Report it. UNICEF calls for everyone to stand up and speak out to end violence against children. Credit: UNICEF In the 28 countries with data, 90 per cent of adolescent girls who had experienced forced sex, on average, said the perpetrator of the first incident was known to them. Data from six countries reveals friends, classmates and partners were among the most frequently cited perpetrators of sexual violence against adolescent boys. Globally, every seven minutes, an adolescent is killed by an act of violence. In the United States, adolescent boys from African American or black non-Hispanic populations are almost 19 times more likely to be murdered than non-Hispanic white adolescent boys. Latin America and the Caribbean is the only region where adolescent homicide rates have increased; nearly half of all homicides among adolescents globally occurred in this region in 2015. The report also says that half the population of school-age children – 732 million – live in countries where corporal punishment at school is not fully prohibited. Three-quarters of documented school shootings that have taken place over the past 25 years in non-conflict countries occurred in the United States. To end violence against children, UNICEF is calling for governments to take urgent action and support such measures as adopting well-coordinated national action plans; changing adult behaviours; limiting access to firearms and other weapons; educating children, parents, teachers, and community members to recognize violence in all its many forms and report it safely; and collecting better disaggregated data to track progress through robust monitoring and evaluation.