News Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is relieved that Radio Bonesha journalist Egide Ndayisenga was released today after being held arbitrarily without a warrant for two days, but is concerned that the environment for the media in Burundi continues to be hostile. Four Burundian journalists complete 12 months in arbitrary detention RSF_en The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa BurundiAfrica Condemning abuses Exiled media October 21, 2020 Find out more Follow the news on Burundi BurundiAfrica Condemning abuses Exiled media Help by sharing this information to go further Reports June 7, 2016 Radio reporter freed but climate still hostile for media in Burundi News Burundian appeal court upholds prison sentences for four journalists June 5, 2020 Find out more November 27, 2020 Find out more Receive email alerts Radio Bonesha studio after it was it was shot up and ransacked by security forces, May 15, 2015 – JENNIFER HUXTA / AFP Organisation Local sources said Ndayisenga was arrested in the northern province of Cibitoke on 5 June for providing information to Burundian journalists based outside the country and because the authorities regarded his movements in the province as strange. The authorities gave no official explanation for either his arrest or his release. Egide Ndayisenga“Since when has it been a crime in Burundi to provide others with information?” RSF said. “Must we remind the authorities that Burundi’s press law guarantees journalists the right to receive and impart information, and that its constitution guarantees media freedom? This journalist’s arrest was clearly an act of intimidation designed to hamper his work.” Unfortunately, this type of incident has been far from isolated in this central African country since the authorities began gagging independent media outlets in April 2015.The public security ministry issued a press communiqué last week accusing “certain social network activists” and Esdras Ndikumana, an Agence France-Presse and Radio France Internationale correspondent who fled the country last year, of “promoting crime and violence” in Burundi.The French government reacted by expressing “deep concern” about the Burundian communiqué. Ndikumana fled abroad after being badly tortured by Burundian intelligence officials in August 2015.Most of Burundi’s independent radio stations have been closed for more than a year, while the authorities have imposed significant curbs on the editorial content of the few media outlets still operating, and harass foreign journalists in the course of their reporting. Social networks are virtually the only place where news and information about Burundi circulate freely.The official statements portraying journalists as enemies of society soon led to grave threats being voiced against Ndikumana on social networks.Last month, German public broadcaster Deutsche Welle found itself in the regime’s sights when government spokesman Willy Nyamitwe launched a personal attack on one of its reporters, Eric Topona, for daring to call him for a comment on the recruiting of young Burundians into a presidential militia called the Imbonerakure.“Just criticizing or commenting on a government measure is regarded as a suspicious act of opposition nowadays in Burundi,” RSF said. “In these circumstances, it is hard take the authorities seriously when they claim that the situation is getting back to normal for the media.”“The closely controlled reopening of some radio stations falls far short of compensating for the terrible pressure to which the Burundian and international media are still subjected. This continues to be very worrying. The authorities are quietly engineering a chronically enfeebled media landscape and a compliant form of journalism, the only kind that they seem capable of tolerating.” Burundi is ranked 156th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2016 World Press Freedom Index. News
Naval security, from monitoring and controlling fishing activities to the fight against drug trafficking, was among the topics debated at the 24th Inter-American Naval Conference (Conferência Naval Interamericana, or CNI), held in September 2010 in Rio de Janeiro. The CNI was created in 1950 and is held every two years. It promotes ongoing professional ties among navies of participating countries and is considered “the most important forum for debate and exchange among the navies of the Americas,” according to the secretary-general of the 24th edition of the event, Brazilian Rear Adm. Wagner Lopes de Moraes Zamith, who spoke to Diálogo at the event. The navies of Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, the United States and Venezuela participated in the conference. Evaluating the conclusions reached during the event, the commandant-general of the Brazilian Navy, Fleet Adm. Julio Soares de Moura Neto, told Diálogo that “delegates from the participating countries left the event fully aware that we need to exchange information and cooperate with one another.” By Dialogo January 01, 2011 Boliviaâ€¦ where is your sea? It was a successful event, once again, a show of excellent relations between the Navies of the Americas as they cooperate with each other and the the maritime security forces. There are challenges in the Atlantic, Pacific and even in the Antarctic. It has to motivate, above all, the governments of these countries to invest in education to train their elite professionals for jobs on the sea — civil and military — with a view towards taking advantage of the riches of the ocean to guarantee preservation and security. We await the 2012 conference in Mexico. Rear Adm. Aland Javier Molestina Malta, commandant-general of the Ecuadorian Navy, spoke of the shared importance of secure oceans. “Although it’s only now that we talk about globalization, the ocean has always been globalized as a way to get everywhere. We all have common interests in this ocean. We cannot focus only on our own country, but have to focus on the entire region.” Adm. Molestina added that Ecuador is being used as a transit route from drug production areas to consumers, and in order to solve the problem, Ecuador “needs close contact between countries, particularly with Colombia, Peru and the United States, which is the main destination for all these drugs.” Noting a specific contribution by Ecuador in this battle, Adm. Molestina told Diálogo that his country has developed a system available to others in the region called ZIMAC. The system monitors ships weighing more than 200 tons. Nonetheless, Adm. Molestina thinks that the surveillance of smaller vessels remains problematic. “Throughout the region, we should standardize the monitoring system and share information on these suspicious vessels that pass through international waters.” Vice Adm. Álvaro Echandía Durán, head of the Colombian Navy’s delegation, told Diálogo that the Colombian Navy has vast experience in the fight against drug trafficking. Vice Adm. Echandía said that in 2009, the Colombian Navy set a record for the country, seizing 97.4 tons of cocaine. The Colombian Navy also monitors the presence of self-propelled semisubmersibles, clandestine submarine vessels used to transport illicit drugs. According to Colombian officials, in 1993, when seizures of this kind were first conducted, 56 of these vessels were found, whereas in 2009, the number seized dropped to 20. “We stopped a large share of these vessels still in the construction phase. Others that were already sailing, filled with drugs, were then intercepted,” said Adm. Echandía, who pointed out that Colombian law authorizes imprisonment for the use of any type of semisubmersible. The head of the Paraguayan delegation, Rear Adm. Egberto E. Orue Benegas, spoke of the need to focus on riverine operations. “Besides the effort to free our rivers from pollution, we also fight against illicit trafficking,” he emphasized in an interview with Diálogo. Nations throughout the region are increasingly turning their attention to patrolling Amazonian rivers. For the chief Mexican representative at the conference, Fleet Adm. José Jesús Marte Camarera, the most important aspect was the exchange of information among the forces and joint operations with all the navies from the Americas. “This is why we participated in the conference, to explain our point of view and to get to know the points of view of others,” said Fleet Adm. Marte Camarera. For the head of the general staff of the Chilean Navy, Vice Adm. Federico Niemann Fiyari, the conference facilitated more than the exchange of information. “There are agreements implemented with certain countries … to exchange information ahead of time so as to be able to react on a national level with the resources and the regulatory and legal jurisdictions that each country has in this matter,” he told Diálogo. Brazilian Navy Rear Adm. Wagner Lopes de Moraes Zamith told Diálogo that the goal of the 2010 conference had been successfully met: to improve interoperability among the navies of the Americas to establish security and peace among nations. Mexico will host the 25th Inter-American Naval Conference in 2012.
Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterFriday 22 May 2020 10:39 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link15.8kShares Tagliafico has performed brilliantly for Ajax in the Champions League (Picture: Getty)‘Last year we made verbal agreements with Onana, Tagliafico and Van de Beek to stay another season and then we look to help each other and find the next step in their careers,’ he told Reuters.‘Nothing has changed. There won’t be a 50% discount. The clubs can forget about that.’By signing a new left-back, Arsenal hope it will show Saka how important he is to the team – as a winger, his preferred position, rather than a defender – and convince him to sign a new contract.MORE: Chelsea legend Michael Essien raves about Arsenal transfer target Thomas ParteyMORE: Dani Ceballos reveals Arsenal’s Premier League return dateFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Saka only has one year left on his current contract with the Gunners (Picture: Getty)While Arteta has been impressed with how well the youngster has adapted and developed the defensive side of the game, he wants to return Saka to his natural role as a winger.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTAccording to The Sun, that has seen Arteta prioritise signing a new left-back to ensure Saka does not end up getting pushed back into the role again next season and he has his eye on Tagliafico.The Argentine has quickly established himself as one of the stand-out left-backs in Europe since moving to Amsterdam in 2018, helping the side win the Eredivisie last season and reach the semi-final of the Champions League.Tagliafico is believed to be open to moving to the Emirates and keen for a new challenge, with the Premier League particularly appealing, though there are a number of clubs interested in signing him.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalThe likes of Chelsea, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid have all been linked with the 27-year-old, who has an agreement allowing him to leave Ajax this summer if a suitable offer is received.Ajax’s asking price is believed to be around £20million and chief executive Edwin van der Sar recently confirmed that the club will not stand in his way if he wants to leave. Advertisement Comment Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta targets Ajax left-back Nicolas Tagliafico to allow Bukayo Saka to flourish The Gunners wonderkid has been forced to deputise in defence this season (Pictures: Getty)Arsenal are ready to make a move for Ajax star Nicolas Tagliafico with Mikel Arteta reportedly eager to bring in a new left-back to allow Bukayo Saka to push further forward.In an often frustrating season, the emergence of 17-year-old Saka has been one of the bright spots of the campaign, with the teenager laying on nine assists in all competitions.However, both Sead Kolasinac and Kieran Tierney in particular have struggled with injury and form, forcing Saka to deputise out of position at left-back.