News Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is relieved that Radio Bonesha journalist Egide Ndayisenga was released today after being held arbitrarily without a warrant for two days, but is concerned that the environment for the media in Burundi continues to be hostile. Four Burundian journalists complete 12 months in arbitrary detention RSF_en The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa BurundiAfrica Condemning abuses Exiled media October 21, 2020 Find out more Follow the news on Burundi BurundiAfrica Condemning abuses Exiled media Help by sharing this information to go further Reports June 7, 2016 Radio reporter freed but climate still hostile for media in Burundi News Burundian appeal court upholds prison sentences for four journalists June 5, 2020 Find out more November 27, 2020 Find out more Receive email alerts Radio Bonesha studio after it was it was shot up and ransacked by security forces, May 15, 2015 – JENNIFER HUXTA / AFP Organisation Local sources said Ndayisenga was arrested in the northern province of Cibitoke on 5 June for providing information to Burundian journalists based outside the country and because the authorities regarded his movements in the province as strange. The authorities gave no official explanation for either his arrest or his release. Egide Ndayisenga“Since when has it been a crime in Burundi to provide others with information?” RSF said. “Must we remind the authorities that Burundi’s press law guarantees journalists the right to receive and impart information, and that its constitution guarantees media freedom? This journalist’s arrest was clearly an act of intimidation designed to hamper his work.” Unfortunately, this type of incident has been far from isolated in this central African country since the authorities began gagging independent media outlets in April 2015.The public security ministry issued a press communiqué last week accusing “certain social network activists” and Esdras Ndikumana, an Agence France-Presse and Radio France Internationale correspondent who fled the country last year, of “promoting crime and violence” in Burundi.The French government reacted by expressing “deep concern” about the Burundian communiqué. Ndikumana fled abroad after being badly tortured by Burundian intelligence officials in August 2015.Most of Burundi’s independent radio stations have been closed for more than a year, while the authorities have imposed significant curbs on the editorial content of the few media outlets still operating, and harass foreign journalists in the course of their reporting. Social networks are virtually the only place where news and information about Burundi circulate freely.The official statements portraying journalists as enemies of society soon led to grave threats being voiced against Ndikumana on social networks.Last month, German public broadcaster Deutsche Welle found itself in the regime’s sights when government spokesman Willy Nyamitwe launched a personal attack on one of its reporters, Eric Topona, for daring to call him for a comment on the recruiting of young Burundians into a presidential militia called the Imbonerakure.“Just criticizing or commenting on a government measure is regarded as a suspicious act of opposition nowadays in Burundi,” RSF said. “In these circumstances, it is hard take the authorities seriously when they claim that the situation is getting back to normal for the media.”“The closely controlled reopening of some radio stations falls far short of compensating for the terrible pressure to which the Burundian and international media are still subjected. This continues to be very worrying. The authorities are quietly engineering a chronically enfeebled media landscape and a compliant form of journalism, the only kind that they seem capable of tolerating.” Burundi is ranked 156th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2016 World Press Freedom Index. News
Ghana midfielder Mubarak Wakaso could not hold back his tears during his receipt of the Man of the Match award after their Round of 16 shootout loss to Tunisia at the Africa Cup of Nations(Afcon) on Monday night.The Deportivo Alaves man put up an outstanding display at Ismailia Stadium but it was ultimately not enough as the Black Stars crashed out of the tournament 5-4 on penalties, the match having ended 1-1 after extra-time.In normal time, Taha Yassine Khenissi broke the deadlock for Tunisia in the 73rd minute before Rami Bedoui’s own goal in injury time levelled the score for Ghana.“I can’t even describe how we are feeling but the only thing I have is I need to thank my colleagues the whole time for their support,” a sobbing Wakaso said at the presser after receiving his award.“It’s part of the game. I think we need to think about our future – that’s the only thing we can do.“My reason [for being so emotional and weeping in the press conference] was that I thought this tournament was for us due to the hard work we’ve been putting in in every match. “That is the reason why I’m like this right now but still have a future so we need to think ahead.”It was Wakaso’s second Man of the Match award at the tournament after picking up the prize in the last group fixture against Guinea-Bissau too.Ghana will now have to wait until Cameroon 2021 to possibly end what will be a 39-year trophy drought.The Black Stars reached the semi-final at Afcon between 2008 and 2017, making the final in 2010 and 2015.