14 June 2012South Africa’s trade conditions improved in May, the SA Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Sacci) reported on Wednesday.Its seasonally adjusted Trade Activity Index (TAI) gained five points to measure 56 for the month.“The better conditions are in correspondence with the relatively strong growth in the wholesale and retail trade, hotel and restaurant sector,” Sacci said in a statement.The non-seasonally adjusted TAI stood at 55 last month, compared to 48 in April and 49 in May last year.Sales and new orders recovered strongly to 64 and 58 compared to 50 for both indices in April 2012. A year ago the sales volume index was 56 and the new orders index 46.The inventories index increased moderately to 51 from 47 in April 2012, following strong inventory build-ups in both February and March 2012.Supplier deliveries recovered by six index points.“The fewer trading days in April played a significant role in weaker trade activity in April 2012 compared to May,” said Sacci.Indices for sales and input prices decreased from 63 and 72 in April to 59 and 68 respectively in May. Price pressures moderated despite an average rise in administered prices of 12 percent.“The effect of the weaker rand is yet to trigger higher prices,” the chamber said.Trade expectations remained positive, but tapered down in May.“Expectations are following the same pattern as in 2011, where the initial bullish outlook was moderated during the year,” said Sacci.“Weak economic conditions will continue to weigh on trade conditions in the coming months.”The six-month outlook for key components of trade activity contracted in May. Sales and input price expectations eased to 61 and 68 compared to 68 and 75 respectively in April.Inventories were expected to decline further.Employment conditions in the trade environment worsened during the month as the index moved from 43 to 41 in negative territory. The outlook for the employment index weakened to 49, from 55 in April.Sapa
Read Next Fans packed the world’s largest indoor arena to the rafters and eclipsed the previous marks set in Games 5 and 6 as they witnessed Ginebra won its back-to-back titles.READ: Ginebra escapes Meralco in Game 7, completes title repeatFEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutGame 5, which ended in a Gin Kings victory over the Bolts, 85-74 on Sunday, drew 36,445 fans.However, Game 6 smashed that turnout, with 53,642 basketball aficionados trooping to Bocaue to gain the distinction of being the biggest crowd in PBA history. Meralco took that game at the expense of Ginebra, 98-91 on Wednesday. Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC View comments CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA LATEST STORIES Kin of Misamis Oriental hero cop to get death benefits, award — PNP Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Trump attends World Series baseball game in Washington DC PLAY LIST 01:04Trump attends World Series baseball game in Washington DC00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa READ: More than 50k fans attend Ginebra-Meralco Finals Game 6 That mark eclipsed the long standing record of 52,612 during the opening ceremonies of the 2014 PBA season, where the Manny Pacquiao-coached Kia bested Blackwater, before Ginebra turned back TNT in the main game.Turns out, all those marks pale in comparison to Friday’s playdate.ADVERTISEMENT Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netBOCAUE — For the third straight time, the 2017 PBA Governors’ Cup Finals broke the record books.Game 7 between Ginebra and Meralco on Friday once set a new league attendance record, attracting 54,086 fans to the Philippine Arena here.ADVERTISEMENT Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion MOST READ Ginebra escapes Meralco in Game 7, completes title repeat QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort
Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf PLAY LIST 01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netSensational all season long, CJ Perez continued to reap the rewards of his hardwork as he was named the NCAA Season 93’s Most Valuable Player.The 23-year-old forward has undoubtedly been the driving force for Lyceum this year, leading the Pirates to an amazing 18-game sweep of the eliminations en route to their first ever Finals appearance.ADVERTISEMENT Onwubere showcased his full arsenal in his final year with the Generals, averaging 16.1 markers, 11.0 boards, 2.6 assists, and 1.4 rejections in his team’s failed bid to make it to the Final Four.The same was the case for Eze, who has been a beast for the Altas in their campaign but failed to help his side advance to the playoffs. The Nigerian bruiser corralled 15.3 points, a league-high 16.4 rebounds, and 2.6 blocks this season.Meanwhile, Jaycee Marcelino’s stellar first year with the Pirates did not go unnoticed as he was feted as this season’s Rookie of the Year.A transferee from Adamson, the soft-spoken guard made immediate impact in his debut year for Lyceum, averaging 10.7 points, 5.4 boards, 2.4 assists, and 1.4 steals, while terrorizing the opposing team’s guards with his hounding defense together with twin brother Jayvee.Eze’s defensive prowess was also recognized as he was named as the league’s Defensive Player of the Year.ADVERTISEMENT QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. View comments Perez averaged a league-best 19.3 points, together with 6.5 rebounds, 3.6 assists, and 1.9 steals to stamp his class among his peers.Joining Perez in the Mythical Team is his Pirates teammate Mike Nzeusseu along with Javee Mocon of San Beda, Sidney Onwubere of Emilio Aguinaldo College, and Prince Eze of Perpetual Help.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutThe Cameroonian Nzeusseu has been a rock down low for Lyceum, netting a double-double of 11.4 markers, 11.8 boards, and 1.2 blocks.Mocon, meanwhile, has been an embodiment of stability for the Red Lions as he churned out solid numbers of 13.0 points, 11.2 rebounds, and 3.4 dimes in his fourth season. Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH MOST READ NBA: Jason Kidd brushes off comparisons to Lonzo Ball: ‘It’s a stretch’ John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Also making the Best Defensive Team are Lyceum’s Nzeusseu, EAC’s Onwubere, Jose Rizal U’s Abdulwahab Abdulrazak, and Mapua’s Christian Buñag.Heavy Bombers guard Jed Mendoza was adjudged as the Most Improved Player, turning around a largely forgettable rookie year and emerging as a solid contributor for his side with a team-best 13.9 points, 4.6 rebounds, and 2.9 assists.JRU, meanwhile, was given the sportsmanship award. LATEST STORIES Read Next CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC
Unseeded Russian Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova won a marathon three-setter against American fifth seed Sloane Stephens 6-7(3) 6-3 6-3 to reach the Australian Open quarter-finals on Sunday and match her best show in Grand Slams.Stephens gave up a 4-1 advantage in the opening set to win it on a tiebreaker but Pavlyuchenkova rallied once again from an early break down to convert her third set point and level the match.The 2017 U.S. Open winner then lost steam as the world number 44 converted her second match point to seal the contest in two hours and 32 minutes..@NastiaPav, take a bow.The world No.44 hits 46 winners to upset Sloane Stephens 6-7(3) 6-3 6-3 to advance to the #AusOpen quarterfinals for the second time. pic.twitter.com/RWvHkLtFtr#AusOpen (@AustralianOpen) January 20, 2019For a place in the semi-finals, Pavlyuchenkova will meet another American in unseeded Danielle Collins, who earlier thrashed 2016 champion and second seed Angelique Kerber 6-0 6-2.But @NastiaPav, haven’t you heard that #SleepIsForTheWeak at the #AusOpen pic.twitter.com/3exVvNjDkL#AusOpen (@AustralianOpen) January 20, 2019
TagsTransfersAbout the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say Liverpool listening to offers for Lallanaby Ansser Sadiq7 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool are willing to listen to offers for midfielder Adam Lallana in the January transfer window.Lallana is one of the favourites of manager Jurgen Klopp, but with the competition for places so intense, especially in midfield, his chances are limited.He has only played one game for the team this term, in the Carabao Cup.Football Insider says the 31-year-old could be moved on this winter or in the summer.The Reds can activate a clause to extend his deal, which expires this summer, by another year.A winter sale is possible, but less likely as the club may not want to weaken boss Klopp’s squad midseason.
Story Highlights The SERP is a voluntary separation initiative that allows public-sector employees, aged 50 to 59, under the non-contributory government pension scheme to take up early retirement through an incentivised package. It was opened on January 2 and will close on February 16. “That efficiency is not just about bringing down the cost of employment, but also ensuring that the service we deliver is improved, because if we make savings on the wage bill, but the service to the citizens of Jamaica is undermined, then we would not have been successful in public-sector transformation,” he said. Implementation of the Special Early Retirement Programme (SERP) forms part of the Government’s strategic move towards improved public service delivery, says Deputy Financial Secretary in the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service, Wayne Jones. Implementation of the Special Early Retirement Programme (SERP) forms part of the Government’s strategic move towards improved public service delivery, says Deputy Financial Secretary in the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service, Wayne Jones.Addressing a Jamaica Information Service (JIS) ‘Think Tank’ on February 7, Mr. Jones said while the programme, being implemented through the Public Sector Transformation Implementation Unit of the Ministry, is a wage bill management strategy, it is also expected to improve efficiency in the sector.“That efficiency is not just about bringing down the cost of employment, but also ensuring that the service we deliver is improved, because if we make savings on the wage bill, but the service to the citizens of Jamaica is undermined, then we would not have been successful in public-sector transformation,” he said.The SERP is a voluntary separation initiative that allows public-sector employees, aged 50 to 59, under the non-contributory government pension scheme to take up early retirement through an incentivised package. It was opened on January 2 and will close on February 16.Mr. Jones said while SERP provides an opportunity for employees to choose to make the transition into whatever vocation they desire, the Government, in reducing the wage bill, will be able to continue on the path of economic development, allowing for public funding to be redirected to critical areas such as social services.“At the end of the day, improved public service delivery is the target, and we believe that this is another way of achieving that as well as achieving personal economic and professional success by those public officers,” he said.
APTN National News WINNIPEG—Stony Stanley Bushie was thrown to the ground by a man who then beat him with an object before dragging his limp body to the back corner of a construction site where it was found 21 hours later by a security guard doing his Saturday evening rounds, according to video surveillance footage.Bushie’s body was found at about 6:30 p.m. Saturday behind APTN’s headquarters which sits across Portage Ave. from the MTS Centre where the Winnipeg Jets play.Surveillance video captured Friday evening by cameras on APTN’s building show the man, who was wearing a dark, long-sleeve top and a backpack, returned to the body about two hours after the attack.APTN has decided not to broadcast or publish video of the murder which shows the man throwing Bushie to the ground before he beat him with an unidentified object. The man dragged Bushie’s limp body to the spot where it was eventually discovered in the construction site.APTN handed over the motion-camera surveillance video footage to the Winnipeg police.Bushie, 48, was killed across the street from where police found the body of Donald Collins, 65, at about 12:45 a.m. Saturday.Winnipeg police believe the deaths are connected and suspect it is the work of the same killer.Police also released still images from surveillance video of a man considered a person of interest in connection with the murders. The stills released by police do not come from APTN’s surveillance video.APTN’s surveillance video picked up Bushie and the man at about 9:06 p.m. Friday. The video shows the two men entering APTN’s rear parking lot. Bushie follows a couple metres behind the man as they walk behind a construction trailer for a moment. They are not there long before the man, still in the lead, reappears on video and walks around the other way to the rear of the trailer. Bushie, who is following slowly from behind, stops and won’t go any farther.At 9:07 p.m., the video shows the man trying to convince Bushie to follow him to the rear of the construction area where Bushie’s body was eventually discovered. The video shows the man gesturing and pointing to the area before walking there himself. The man then returns and continues to urge Bushie to follow him, but Bushie won’t go and takes a step back.Eventually, Bushie relents and he follows the man on a different path leading to a porta-potty set up to service the construction site. The man opens the door to the porta-potty and Bushie enters before quickly exiting. The unidentified man also enters and exits the facility. They never go in together. The man then steps around the porta-potty, but Bushie doesn’t follow.At 9:09 p.m. Bushie and the man head slowly back to the street. The man keeps halting and pointing back towards the area where Bushie’s body was eventually found.Bushie and the man then talk for roughly four minutes. They are standing between the street and the construction trailer.At 9:14 p.m. strong wind gusts blow heavy cardboard packing into the air. The steady stream of pedestrian and vehicle traffic that provided part of the background throughout the video has now ceased. The two men keep talking for about a minute longer before the man throws Bushie to the ground. The man uses a blunt object to beat Bushie several times.The man drags Bushie’s body to a back corner of the construction area. The man returns to the same spot about two hours later. The body was found next to a red plastic pylon, a wooden board and a pile of pipesWinnipeg homicide detectives are now searching for the man and have issued warnings to those living on the street that he may strike firstname.lastname@example.org@APTNNews