上海夜网PX

first_img Raymond acknowledged deep concern about the recent spate of foodborne disease outbreaks but said he had expanded the USDA’s inspection and testing program to combat it, according to the story. “The measures are a reflection of our concern about the Canadian inspection system based on the audit findings of May 1–June 6, 2007, and the circumstances related to the unsafe practices employed by Rancher’s Beef, Ltd.,” the Balzac, Alta., packing plant whose products were linked to the contaminated Topps ground beef, James wrote. The increased inspections, ground beef testing for E coli, and testing of ready-to-eat products “will be at the rate of approximately double that of the past year for Canada,” James’s letter states. Nov 8, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – Starting tomorrow, US inspection and testing of imported Canadian meat and poultry products will roughly double and will include a category of beef products that has not previously been subject to testing, the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) said today. Begin E coli testing of raw beef trim, boxed beef, and “subprimals” (smaller cuts of meat from the major carcass components, such as loin, chuck, and round) normally sent for grinding See also: The expanded program will continue while two USDA teams finishing inspecting the Rancher’s Beef facility, seven other Canadian facilities that were flagged for problems in the last USDA audit, and some slaughter plants that are similar to the Alberta facility in their “start-up and operations,” James wrote. Raymond said the FSIS has adequate tools to ensure food safety and does not need legislation granting mandatory product recall authority, according to a CongressDaily report today. (In contrast, this week the Bush administration, in a new food protection plan prepared by the Food and Drug Administration, said the FDA needs the authority to compel food recalls.) The USDA announced Nov 3 it would increase inspections and testing of Canadian products this week, after beef trim from an Alberta meat producer was implicated in an E coli O157:H7 outbreak linked to ground beef sold by Topps Meat Co. of Elizabeth, N.J. But in the initial announcement the agency gave few details about the testing plan. The USDA released more information today in a letter from Dr. William James of the agency’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA). The letter, published online by the FSIS, said the agency would: Testifying before the House Agriculture Subcommittee on Livestock, Dairy and Poultry, Raymond said, “We think our present system works well,” and added that meat processors have always cooperated with the USDA on recalls, the report said. “In two recent cases FSIS acted upon epidemiological evidence that linked illness to opened, FSIS-inspected product found in consumers’ freezers, where previously, we believed the agency needed a test result from an intact or unopened package because of the possibility of cross-contamination [from other foods],” he was quoted as saying. He said that product lots will be held at import houses until samples test negative for pathogens. If a sample tests positive, the lot it came from will be rejected. However, FSIS “will consider submitted alternatives to holding product at import houses pending test results,” the letter says.center_img Policy change revealedRaymond said the E coli outbreak traced to Topps Meat has prompted one particular change in the FSIS’s policies, according to a report today by Meatingplace.com. James also said the new precaution of testing beef trim, boxed beef, and subprimals normally destined for grinding will be permanent and will be extended to all exporting countries starting at the beginning of 2008. Oct 29 CIDRAP News story “E coli in Topps beef traced to Canadian firm”http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/fs/food-disease/news/oct2907beef.html Increase testing of raw ground beef for E coli O157:H7 Increase testing of ready-to-eat products for Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella Raymond also said he didn’t believe “risk-based inspection” would have prevented the Topps outbreak, according to Meatingplace.com. Risk-based inspection is the name for a USDA proposal to focus more of its attention on meat and poultry plants that have weak safety records. FSIS letter about increased testing of Canadian productshttp://www.fsis.usda.gov/PDF/Canada_O157_Testing_Letter.pdf “I believe that we need to take additional time to strengthen our system and our data collection capabilities before moving forward” with risk-based inspection, Raymond was quoted as saying. Increase inspections of Canadian meat, poultry, and pasteurized egg products Nov 5 CIDRAP News story “USDA to increase testing of Canadian meat”http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/fs/food-disease/news/nov0507beef.html Official defends FSIS recordIn related news, the FSIS’s handling of meat recalls was defended by USDA Under Secretary for Food Safety Dr. Richard Raymond in testimony before a congressional committee yesterday. E coli contamination has prompted 19 meat recalls so far this year, compared with eight for all of last year. The Topps recall involved more than 21 million pounds of ground beef and forced the company out of business.last_img read more

first_imgMedeama boosted their chances of reaching the group stage of the CAF Confederation Cup after a 2-0 win against Zambia’s Zesco at home.Goals by Nathaniel Asamoah and Michael Helegbe in either half at the Essipon Stadium on Sunday secured the Mauves victory.Carlos Roberto Paulette will be hoping Medeama, who travel for the return at the Levy Mwanawasa Stadium in Ndola on March 29 will come good against the three-time Zambian champions.Asamoah scored the opener in the first half before Helegbe doubled their lead from the spot after the break.Medeama must secure an aggregate victory over Zesco and await whichever Champions League side that drops to the Confederations Cup in the final qualifying round.last_img read more

first_imgManager of Jamaica College’s Manning Cup team, Ian Forbes, has warned rivals that the school intends to continue winning even more. Forbes made his comments yesterday as the Hope Road-based school celebrated a fourth straight title and 28th overall.It’s the first time in 64 years that the Manning Cup has won by the same school for four consecutive years. Kingston College last did it from 1949 to 1952.The self-styled ‘True Blue’ institution, located at 189 Old Hope Road celebrated inside the Karl Hendrickson Auditorium, three days after they had beaten Wolmer’s Boys 2-1 in a hard-fought National Stadium final.A yesterday’s function members of the school’s board, management, academic staff, parents and students gave thanks for what was dubbed “a blessing.”Speaking in an interview with The Gleaner, team manager and old boy Forbes said members of the champion team were all passionate about the game.”It is pretty easy to motivate these young men; they are very passionate about what they do, they work very hard, and they prepare very well,” Forbes said.”Once a boy comes through the gates of Jamaica College, he is transformed [by], it’s fighting spirit, never-say-die attitude, and the quest to be a champion,” Forbes added.MILLIONS OF DOLLARSHe credited the tremendous resources – financial and human – “persons giving of their time and energy to make everything work'”for JC’s success.He admitted that JC Manning Cup budget is a ‘huge’. He did not give a precise figure but he estimated that “it is in the region of millions of dollars”.One of the men at the centre of the winning project, coach Miguel Coley, has won the Cup in all his four years at the school.”Our school has gone through a lot this year, and winning the Manning Cup is just a message that we will always rise above the adversity. We are an institution of champions on the football field, and off it, we want to use the football team as an example that you can be great,” he charged the students.The emotional Coley, revealed: “This great school has changed my life.”Principal Wayne Robinson led the cheers at the function shouting: “JC, JC, a big side !! Coley a big coach! to rapturous applause.”We have had a very challenging time over the last couple of months. We’ve had three deaths and I heard Mr Forbes dedicate this win to me, and I dedicate this win to the three boys we lost … and dedicating this Manning Cup to their families,” principal Robinson said.Meanwhile, captain Oquin Robinson who played in the competition for three years, called it a “tremendous privilege to captain this great institution.””I helped to win three Manning Cups, the Walker Cup, the FLOW Super Cup and Olivier Shield and I feel good,” he said.JC are already eyeing their next title this season. After Saturday’s win the team returned to training at noon on Monday to prepare for the Walker Cup knockout final against Kingston College tomorrow.last_img read more

first_imgThey said they wanted to take at least a top-eight finish back to Simi Valley, because Sione Fua of Crespi of Encino won the heavyweight state championship last season. That was the first time a wrestler from the San Fernando Valley won a state title. But the Simi Valley High wrestlers fell short, finishing in the top 12 in their respective weight divisions. Bruno lost in the fifth round of the 160-pound division consolation bracket to Canyon Springs’ Joshua Rodriguez in a 3-2 decision. Murphy lost to A.J. Guardado of West Covina in a 6-1 decision in the fifth round of the 135-pound consolation bracket. Murphy had beaten Guardado at last week’s Masters Meet in Rialto. “(Bruno and Murphy) both got behind and it’s hard to catch up in these matches,” said Guy Greene, Simi Valley’s coach. “You come up a bit short of placing but I can’t say enough about their efforts. If they finished third, fourth or 12th, this was a good run.” Bruno (36-6) trailed Rodriguez 2-0 going into the second period, when he recovered and tied the score with a 2-point takedown. But Rodriguez was able to escape from a Bruno hold with 47 seconds left in the second period to earn one point and take the lead for good. Bruno, the Marmonte League 160-pound champion, spent most of the third period on top with his arms wrapped around Rodriguez’s torso, but he couldn’t flip him over to try for the pin or take him down for more points. “I knew he was going to play it tough,” Bruno said. “I knew I had to give it all my effort but he was very talented. I’m disappointed I didn’t place but there are a lot of guys who came here and didn’t finish in the top 12.” BAKERSFIELD – There won’t be a state wrestling champion from the San Fernando Valley this year. Matt Bruno and Mikey Murphy were aware of this going into the second day of competition at the CIF State Championships on Saturday at Rabobank Arena in Bakersfield. That is because they were the only remaining wrestlers from the area. center_img Chad Truxler was the last wrestler to place in state for Simi Valley. He finished third in 1997 in the heavyweight division and took fourth the next year in the same category. Bruno reached the quarterfinals Friday by beating his first two opponents before losing to Zach Sesar of Vacaville in a 6-1 decision. That sent him to the consolation bracket in which he needed to beat Rodriguez to place in the top eight and win the next three matches to place third. Murphy won his first match in the championship bracket before losing to Tracy High’s Billy Strmiska in a 7-4 decision, sending him to the consolation bracket. Murphy won his first two consolation matches by decision before being eliminated by Guardado. “I came out kind of nervous (in the championship round),” Murphy said. “I was too conservative then. I opened up in the consolation rounds and took some shots, something I don’t normally do. I was hoping I would place with (Bruno).” ivan.orozco@dailynews.com (818) 713-3602 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

first_imgThe Donegal Dublin Business Network members enjoyed a wine tasting and networking evening at the Magee store in Dublin on June 14th. The members gathered at the Magee flagship store on South Anne Street to taste and learn about wine with Tindal Wine Merchants.The stylish setting of Magee 1866, a luxury clothing brand with firm roots in Donegal, combined with a buzzing atmosphere was the ideal mix for networking, a key objective of DDBN. The Donegal Dublin Business Network was established in January 2017 with the view to encouraging Donegal business people based in Dublin to network, refer business and to share contacts with each other.Those interested in becoming members of the DDBN are advised to email donegaldublinbusinessnetwork@gmail.com or contact the group through LinkedIn and Twitter @DDBN2017. Visit www.donegaldublinbusinessnetwork.comAnne Harkin (Mason Hayes and Curran), Elaine Caffrey (Capita and Universal Floral Limited), Niamh Rodgers (Mason Hayes and Curran)John Gildea (Owens DDB), Conal Gallagher (Gallagher TV, Rathmines)Ciaran Doherty (Law Library), Damian O’Donohue (Magee 1866)Ronan Dillon (AbbVie), Charlotte Temple (Magee 1866) Pic Special: Donegal Dublin Business Network mix casual style and conversation at Magee 1866 was last modified: June 21st, 2017 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BusinessDDBNDonegal Dublin Business networkeventsmagee of donegalNetworkinglast_img read more