Aston Villa have completed the signing of Joleon Lescott from West Brom for an initial £1m, with the possibility of the fee rising to £2m.The defender has signed a two-year deal at Villa Park after spending just over 12 months with the Baggies.Lescott passed a medical on Tuesday and the move ends a long transfer chase for Villa, who wanted to sign him before his move to Albion from Man City last summer.In addition, he becomes first player since Cyrille Regis to play for Midlands clubs West Brom, Aston Villa and Wolves.Villa have been busy in this transfer window, with Micah Richards, Adama Traore and Jordan Ayew among a number of signings. 1 Joleon Lescott has played for Wolves, West Brom and now a third Midlands club, Aston Villa
Craig Hignett Hartlepool have appointed Craig Hignett as their new manager following the departure of Ronnie Moore.The League Two strugglers parted company with Moore earlier on Wednesday and moved quickly to replace the 63-year-old with the former Pools midfielder.Hignett, who also took in spells with Middlesbrough, Bradford, Crewe and Barnsley, finished his playing career with a brief stint at Victoria Park in 2007.The 46-year-old also spent time as assistant to Colin Cooper at Hartlepool in the 2013/14 season.“It was essential that we moved quickly to get a new manager in place,” Hartlepool chairman Gary Coxall told the club’s official website.“We immediately identified Craig as our number one target and we believe he has all the right qualities to help instil confidence back in to the players and help us move up the table.“He has a wealth of experience in football and has been looking for an opportunity to move in to management so we’re delighted to give him that chance here at Victoria Park.”Moore left Hartlepool in the wake of Tuesday night’s 2-1 home defeat to Stevenage which left them just one place and four points above the relegation zone. 1
GOP: Each accuses the other of doing less to cut taxes. Remaining candidates just observe. By Liz Sidoti THE ASSOCIATED PRESS DEARBORN, Mich. – Republican presidential hopefuls Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani quarreled over tax and spending cuts Tuesday, each claiming greater commitment than the other in a debate in the nation’s struggling manufacturing heartland. After months of polite debate sparring, Giuliani and Romney squared off without hesitation, a reflection of their struggle for primacy in the race for their party’s presidential nomination. “I cut taxes 23 times. I believe in tax cuts,” said Giuliani, former mayor of New York and leader in national Republican polls. Romney initially conceded that, but quickly criticized his rival for once filing a court challenge to a law that gave President Clinton the right to veto spending items line by line. “I’m in favor of the line-item veto,” he said, adding he exercised it 844 times while governor of Massachusetts. Romney also said that while mayor, Giuliani “fought to keep the commuter tax, which is a very substantial tax … on consumers coming into New York.” The former governor leads his rivals in the polls in Iowa, where caucuses will be the first contest of the campaign, and he and Giuliani are in a close race in surveys in New Hampshire, the leadoff primary state. Giuliani responded that spending fell in New York while he was mayor, and rose in Massachusetts while Romney was governor. “The point is that you’ve got to control taxes. I did it, he didn’t. … I led, he lagged.” “It’s baloney,” retorted Romney. “I did not increase taxes in Massachusetts. I lowered taxes.” The exchange was among the most heated of the campaign for the Republican presidential nomination, reflecting a quickening pace as the 2008 caucuses and primaries draw close. It also left Fred Thompson, Sen. John McCain of Arizona and the other contenders as bystanders for the several moments that Romney and Giuliani went at one another. All nine men on stage sought to stress their conservative economic credentials throughout the two-hour debate, held in the city that gave birth to the Ford Motor Co. more than a century ago. McCain of Arizona said President Bush was right to veto a children’s health expansion bill, and he urged him to reject a multibillion-dollar public works measure as well. “We have to get spending under control,” agreed Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback. No matter whether Republicans or Democrats are in control of Congress, he said, “the system is built to spend.” Challenged to identify one government account he would cut, Brownback cited a program involving “advanced technology.” “If you want to control federal spending you must look at Social Security and Medicare,” said Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado. He said he favors private Social Security accounts, or “forget the idea of ending deficit spending.” Thompson said that without changes, Social Security would not survive. He said there should be no change for current retirees and those expected to begin drawing benefits soon. But for those retiring further in the future, benefits should not be allowed to rise as quickly as now expected. While maneuvering against one another, the Republicans found a minute or two to jab at Democrats. Giuliani criticized Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, the Democratic presidential front-runner, for a proposal to provide tax cuts of up to $1,000 to help families open 401(k) retirement accounts. Eight of the candidates support the continuing U.S. military presence in Iraq, but Rep. Ron Paul of Texas drew applause when he loudly dissented.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Jeremie Boga has scored three goals on loan at Ligue 1 side Rennes this season Marseille are preparing a summer loan offer for Chelsea starlet Jeremie Boga.The 19-year-old has been tipped for a big future by youth coaches at Stamford Bridge but he is struggling to break into the first team.Marseille tried to sign the midfielder on loan last summer but they missed out to their Ligue 1 rivals Rennes.However, according to Foot Mercato, Marseille are ready to return for Boga at the end of the season.The Ligue 1 club want to take the Frenchman on loan in the summer and have assured Chelsea he will have a prominent role in the team.Boga has scored three goals in over 20 appearances for Rennes this season and they are keen to keep hold of him for another year, too. 1
This week Ray Stubbs is joined by Dominic Fifield and Shaun Custis to cast their eyes over the main sporting stories.They discuss the impending arrival of Jose Mourinho at Manchester United, some controversial refereeing from Saturday’s FA Cup final and look back at Hibernian’s victory over Rangers in the Scottish Cup.Listen above or click here to download the podcast from iTunes
Arsenal have announced a deal for Japan forward Takuma Asano, who becomes Arsene Wenger’s second summer signing after Granit Xhaka.And the reaction has been mixed.With few familiar with the striker, some Gunners fans have been describing the deal as ‘nonsense’ while others have been asking ‘who?’So if you want to know a little more about Asano ahead of his north London arrival, check out the video above of the 21-year-old in action last season.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champAlmost five months after the Daily News portrayed this neighborhood as gripped by fear and intimidated by gang members, crime has declined steadily, parents are returning to the parks, and drug dealing is moving underground.Residents and police attribute the turnaround to a flood of officers now patrolling the nearly 2-square-mile area dubbed the Witch’s Hat for its geographic shape and its often deadly brew of violence, drugs and gangs.In August, Los Angeles Police Chief William Bratton ordered beefed-up patrols in this slice of the east side of North Hills and west side of Panorama City – with the number of officers dedicated to the zone jumping from eight to 50.One month later, total major crimes in the area dropped by 22percent, from 99 incidents to 77, while arrests rose by 22percent, from 484 to 588, according to Los Angeles Police Department statistics.And the decrease has continued, with 72 major crimes logged in the area in November and arrests skyrocketing to a recent high of 711 in October. “It shows that cops count,” said Deputy Chief Michel Moore, head of policing in the San Fernando Valley.The improvements come with the area as the focus of a crime-cleanup effort called the Safer Cities Initiative, targeting crime-plagued areas citywide. But while Skid Row and other places saw precipitous drops in crime, efforts in the Witch’s Hat had faltered until recently.“This Safer Cities Initiative is a program that shows, when a city is properly policed and deployment levels are that of other cities across the country, we see much safer streets, much safer communities,” Moore said.‘Zero tolerance’On a recent weeknight, more than 10 officers were on patrol under the supervision of Sgt. Adrienne Hamilton, who grew up in the neighborhood.She kept an eye on the black-and-white cruisers that rolled past the rows of apartments, taquerias and bars dotting the area, home to five gangs.Unlike regular patrol cops who respond to urgent calls, these officers are sort of jacks-of-all-trades. They know gang members by name, write traffic tickets and frequently talk to apartment managers about making their properties safer.“I am literally telling my officers, ‘Go out and clean up the area. Zero tolerance,’” said Hamilton, driving past an apartment complex where drug dealers and local gangsters used to jump a gate and escape police.But her officers worked with the apartment owner, who erected a 12-foot wrought-iron wall topped with curved spikes.“There’s still crime, but it’s not like it used to be,” Hamilton said. “You would see guys on the sidewalk drinking. You don’t even see that anymore. If you clean up the area, (criminals) can’t blend in anymore.”Despite the improvements, some who live in the Witch’s Hat say cops are targeting people indiscriminately, intimidating the heavily immigrant community.“I am not against the police,” said Jaime Rojas, an immigrant from El Salvador who with his wife, Ana, runs Ana’s Shoes on Parthenia Street. “The area here was a mountain of homeless and druggies. That has changed.“I am against when they stop people on their way to work. I have clients who say they don’t come here anymore because police detain so many people.”In September alone, police arrested 877 people for misdemeanor violations, up 163percent from the previous month, before the LAPD’s show of force in the neighborhood began, department figures show.In August, police handed out 15 curfew citations. In September, that jumped to 67.Worsening residents’ fears have been immigration raids in which the LAPD provided security for Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents. Although police say they don’t turn over those arrested to immigration agents, Rojas said even the appearance that the two agencies are working together puts people on edge.“There are so much police in the city, people are going to be afraid,” he said.Bryant Reyes, 18, and Jose Granados, 20, say that between them they have been questioned at least 10 times by police in the past three months.Neither is a felon, a gang member or a drug dealer. The two are just friends who like heavy-metal music and happen to be the age of many gang members police track.But because they are out late at night or wear hooded sweat shirts, they say, they are frequently stopped or followed.“I don’t feel comfortable anymore,” Reyes said.Officers frequently shine a light on him as he walks home, he said, and Granados said he was handcuffed when police thought he was making a drug deal.“The most embarrassing part is it happened in front of my father,” he said.Less fearDespite the complaints, police say their current strategy is the best way to clean up the community.“We are not just randomly stopping people to just stop them,” said Capt. Jorge Villegas, who oversees the LAPD’s Mission Division, which patrols the Witch’s Hat. “They are engaged in some type of behavior. That’s why we stop them.”And residents have noticed. Villegas said police are more frequently getting tips about drug dealers or other illegal activity from people who used to be too scared to say anything.“We are specifically looking for gang members, for drug dealers, for prostitutes and pimps,” he said. “The long-term goal is for us to pull the officers out of this area … so it can maintain itself. The only way that can occur is through economic development.”Plans to develop a 500-unit condo and retail project near Roscoe and Van Nuys boulevards are already under way, City Councilman Richard Alarc?n said.And every weekend since the Daily News wrote about problems in the area in July, Alarc?n has sponsored neighborhood cleanup days, when residents bag trash strewn along the streets and call city dump trucks to pick up old couches and mattresses.He has even negotiated with 24 apartment managers to create a Neighborhood Watch in their area.“I am not ready to say that we are ready to claim victory. I want to do more,” Alarc?n said. “Until we have cameras in place, Neighborhood Watches in place, until we can put up every streetlight we can… and continue with the bulky-item pickup, I am not going to say that we are finished with the area.”‘Police come down’Back in North Hills, a band of young men that claim the Columbus Street gang are being detained by the mostly rookie cops who make up the unit.The officers, many of whom are almost as young as the gangsters themselves, shoot the breeze with them. They know each other by name.“We just stop them to see what’s going on,” LAPD Officer Nicok Girodano said.Juan Valverde, 19, stands a few yards back from Girodano. A gang member who says he’s been locked up in the past for robbery and selling cocaine, he shakes his head when asked how often he’s pulled over. Constantly.“You can’t be taking no risk no more,” he said.He recently has become a father and now is trying to lie low in Sylmar, away from the old neighborhood.“It isn’t how it was back in the day, where you used to shoot people and get away with it,” he said, shrugging.“Now, it’s like one gunshot and the whole police come down.”firstname.lastname@example.orgIF YOU GO There will be a peace march at 6 tonight through a portion of the Witch’s Hat neighborhood. About 500 people are expected to attend. It will begin on Parthenia Street near Langdon Avenue.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! NORTH HILLS – Leaning against her rake in her front yard, Augustina Cervantes peered toward the end of the block across from North Hills Park, where just a few months ago heroin addicts roamed like zombies looking for a fix and violent brawls were commonplace as children played.Now Cervantes feels safe enough to come out at 10 p.m. and rake leaves in front of her small house festooned with Christmas lights.“It’s gotten so much better here,” said Cervantes, a 55-year-old grandmother who has lived on the same street for 16 years. “We don’t see people walking the streets all night anymore.”“There’s even less gang members,” grandson Julio Chavez, 15, piped in.
LANCASTER – Westside Union School District trustees will discuss whether to change board policy to allow the appointment of a former board member who lost a recent election. Board member Gwen Farrell wants to appoint former trustee Christine LeBeau to fill the seat left vacant by the Jan. 2 resignation of Deborah Rutkowski-Hines. In the November election, LeBeau was the sole incumbent running but came in fourth in a race for three seats. The seats were won by newcomers John Curiel, Linda Jones and Joan Sodergren. LeBeau lost by 65 votes. “For me it makes sense. She has the experience and expertise and was next on the ballot. It would be nice to have someone else on board to have some years of experience,” said Farrell, who is serving her sixth term on the board. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita Rutkowski-Hines, who was elected to the board in 2003, resigned from it Jan. 2, citing personal reasons. Board bylaws currently state vacancies be filled by a process of seeking applicants, interviewing them and making an appointment. A direct appointment of LeBeau would require a revision of the policy, Superintendent Regina Rossall said. Farrell suggested appointing LeBeau at a board meeting last Tuesday. Some fellow board members said they wanted to discuss the bylaws. “First of all we need to discuss the process by which to fill a vacancy. It’s premature to discuss a direct appointment,” Curiel said. “We don’t make unilateral decisions. We make decisions by board. We should keep in mind what the public wants.” “I really don’t have a comment. We will be discussing the whole process at the Jan. 17 meeting,” Jones said. Sodergren declined to comment. At the board meeting, Rossall said the board will have a general discussion about the different ways vacant seats are filled, which include calling an election, an outright appointment, or seeking applicants and making an appointment. Trustees also will look at current policy and discuss whether it should be amended, Rossall said. If the board does decide to change the policy, an appointment could be made at the meeting. Karen Maeshiro, (661) 267-5744 email@example.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
The Donegal Dublin Business Network members enjoyed a wine tasting and networking evening at the Magee store in Dublin on June 14th. The members gathered at the Magee flagship store on South Anne Street to taste and learn about wine with Tindal Wine Merchants.The stylish setting of Magee 1866, a luxury clothing brand with firm roots in Donegal, combined with a buzzing atmosphere was the ideal mix for networking, a key objective of DDBN. The Donegal Dublin Business Network was established in January 2017 with the view to encouraging Donegal business people based in Dublin to network, refer business and to share contacts with each other.Those interested in becoming members of the DDBN are advised to email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the group through LinkedIn and Twitter @DDBN2017. Visit www.donegaldublinbusinessnetwork.comAnne Harkin (Mason Hayes and Curran), Elaine Caffrey (Capita and Universal Floral Limited), Niamh Rodgers (Mason Hayes and Curran)John Gildea (Owens DDB), Conal Gallagher (Gallagher TV, Rathmines)Ciaran Doherty (Law Library), Damian O’Donohue (Magee 1866)Ronan Dillon (AbbVie), Charlotte Temple (Magee 1866) Pic Special: Donegal Dublin Business Network mix casual style and conversation at Magee 1866 was last modified: June 21st, 2017 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BusinessDDBNDonegal Dublin Business networkeventsmagee of donegalNetworking