And that’s why Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has enlisted the help of multi-premiership winning Raiders legend Mal Meninga this year.Stuart revealed in November he had spoken to his fellow club legend about a consultancy role with the Raiders, designed specifically to help Croker develop as a leader.And while Croker played down Meninga’s job when asked about his work, he revealed he regularly meets with the current Australian coach who has become a mentor of sorts.“I wouldn’t say he’s been back at the club, he’s been back in town,” Croker told foxsports.com.au.“I caught up with him a couple of times, we went and had a coffee and had a bit of a yarn for an hour or so.“He also came up to the Sunshine Coast when we had a trial game up there, him and Steve Walters and a couple of other guys came for dinner.“Not an official role, unless something happens going forward, I’m not sure.”Meninga won three premierships with the Raiders and was long-time captain of the club, whose current best and fairest medal is named in honour of the legendary centre.Croker has been full-time captain of the club since 2015.Coach Stuart explained how Meninga could act as a personal adviser and mentor to the 27-year-old centre and captain.“Jarrod has all the integrity and respect of his fellow players. He’s a local boy achieving all the goals he wants, in regards to playing,” Stuart told NRL.com.“He’s a wonderful club man with an outstanding character as a person.“So that’s why he’s our captain. But I need some help in making Jarrod a great captain.”Croker wouldn’t go into great detail of his relationship with Meninga, but explained their catch-ups aren’t solely focused on football.“I just caught up with Mal a couple of times to have a coffee and a chat. Just life in general, leadership, a bit of everything,” he said.“He’s done a lot in the game on and off the field, so he knows a lot. Every time I get the chance to catch up with him for a coffee or a feed I jump at it.“He’s done it all, he’s captained everyone, he’s done all you can in the game.“He’s going to be great for me going forward as a leader and I’ll just try to get what I can out of him.”
Fox Sports reports the No. 9 has called a press conference for 1pm in Melbourne where he will make the announcement alongside coach Kevin Walters.Smith’s exit coincides with the representative retirements of Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk, which were announced at the end of last year.It means Queensland will need a new captain and hooker for the State of Origin series starting on June 6.The call is likely to springboard Brisbane hooker Andrew McCullough into contention for a Queensland debut in game one, while Jake Granville of the Cowboys could be another option.Darius Boyd, Billy Slater or Greg Inglis are the most likely candidates to take over the captaincy, however Boyd has battled form and fitness at Brisbane this season.Since making his debut for Queensland in 2003, Smith has played a record 42 Origins for the Maroons and has been captain of the side since 2012.In that period he has missed just one game – the series opener in 2010 due to injury – and won a record 26 matches.Since playmaker Thurston’s debut in 2005, the pair have played a crucial role in the Maroons’ 11 of the last 12 series victories.— with AAP(Picture: Darren England)
Local hero Soti Dinki was mobbed by fans as he trooped up the hill from the 18th green to hand in a scorecard of 74 that put him four shots clear of overnight leader William Howard (COK).Dinki’s cool demeanour and local knowledge told the story as he recorded a four-round total of 10-over 298. Howard, meanwhile, gave up his four-shot overnight lead and crashed to a 10-over final round of 82 and 302 in total.Reigning 2011 champion Adrien Peres from New Caledonia bagged a bronze medal after carding a 75 and 304 for four rounds, just one shot ahead of Vanuatu’s Josepho Matuatu who shot 77 in his final round.In the women’s tournament, Kristine Seko withstood the pressure test to win gold and helped the PNG team to victory in the process.Seko hit a solid 74 in blustery conditions to finish four shots clear of Elmay Viking from Cook Islands, who carded 76 to win silver, while New Caledonia’s Arianne Klotz took bronze after slipping with a final round 78.Seko began the day just one shot ahead of Klotz with Viking a further shot behind, but she said day four had a more tranquil feel than the anxiety of her third round 80, which brought her back to the field.“Not nervous, just calm I think,” Seko said when asked if there were any final round nerves.“I was calm and just quietly talking to myself, saying ‘you know you can do this, just hang in there’ and yeah, it came together.” “Yesterday, I was a bit down,” Seko said. “I knew that I sort of let the team down as well as myself with how I played.“I just got over-anxious I think and I was rushing but I pulled it together towards the end.” “Individual and team gold, so I’m ecstatic, just lost for words.”PNG took gold in the men’s team event, dropping just one of the four shots it led by after round three. Dinki, Brian Taikiri, Wally Ilake and Steven George combined to tally 917 for PNG, three shots clear of silver medallists New Caledonia (920), with Fiji (929) taking bronze.In the women’s team event PNG also took gold, snatching back the lead it surrendered to New Caledonia on day three. The PNG four-round tally of 947 was four shots ahead of silver medallists New Caledonia (951) with Cook Islands taking bronze with 979.The excellent final rounds from Seko, Margaret Lavaki (78) and Hazel Martin (79) ensured PNG finished ahead of the New Caledonians.
John with a zero handicap, is among the top four in Group G with Vani Toka (10) and Gamu Miria (25) to make it into the last 32.First PNG women’s handicap champion Hane Vaieke (30), Waisina Chan (35), Helen Samuel (15) and Damita Bray (25) are also in contention after being placed in the top four in their pools.Meanwhile, Charlie Lainda (40) caused the upset of the tournament when he beat defending champion Marcus Ng with a handicap of minus 30, two frames to nil in the Group H encounter at Laguna Hotel.Reigning Port Moresby Open champion Ralph Kaina (-5) came out on top in the all men’s Group B at Lamana Q Club ahead of Dustin Kohu (30), Roger Ng (-10) and Tournament Director Joey Chan (10).Fong cousins, Monty (25) and Bjorne (35), Toua Simoi (20), Ong Beng Huat (0), Willie Tiki (35) and Tom English (0) have all proceeded to the next stage comfortably.The last of the round robin matches in Groups A to F will be played tonight. The Final 32 games start at 11am tomorrow (Saturday) at the four venues – Aviat Club, Dragon’s Den, Laguna Hotel and Lamana Q Club.
LaBiga SmartBank* Data updated as of January 18, 2020 Mel takes an extra footballer -has included precisely a Cantabrian player, Josemi Castañeda, of the subsidiary team, due to some Fabio González’s health problems, who presented vomiting after training.The chosen by the yellow team technician are the goalkeepers Alvaro Valles and Josep; the defenses Mauricio Lemos, De la Bella, Alex Suárez, Mantovani, Eric Curbelo, Deivid and Aythami Artiles; the media Aridai, Benito, Javi Castellano, Kirian, Srnic, Fabio, Pedri and Josemi Castañeda; and the strikers Pekhart and Rubén Castro.The yellow expedition plans to travel to Santander in the afternoon of this saturday, via Bilbao, to be measured on Sunday in the Campos de Sport of El Sardinero to the last classified of LaLiga SmartBank, from from 18.15 (peninsular time). The front Sergio Ezequiel Araujo, from UD Las Palmas, has asked the yellow club to leave the staff after receiving “an irreproachable offer”, as revealed East Saturday the team coach, Pepe Mel, who has ruled out the player for this Sunday’s game in Santander.Madrid coach stressed that for him “premium sports and the group “above the desire of any player, and therefore not will put impediments to facilitate the march of the ‘Chinese’.In the call facilitated this noon the end Aridai Cabrera and the forward Rubén Castro have been included.Aridai was presented this week as second reinforcement of the yellow equipment in the winter market, after the incorporation of Argentine Fede Varela, who has not entered the list due to an overload.For its part, the veteran center forward Rubén Castro returns several months off after to go through the operating room in Finland in october past.
Those of Zidane, who will align a team composed of less common players in Madrid’s onces. By regulations, and throughout the match, whites have to have an eleven in which there must be at least seven players with the first team’s token, so players like Nacho, Lucas Vázquez, Areola, Mariano, Brahim … will be part of the call, and surely of the encounter.Fede Valverde could also return, absent before Sevilla to meet a penalty match for his expulsion against Atlético de Madrid in the Spanish Super Cup. His bellows was noticed by the team against the Sevillian team last Saturday. For his part, Gareth Bale, absent from the call last Saturday against Sevilla, returned to exercise normally, just as he did last Friday, before falling off the list of summoned for the match against Lopetegui. With the already known losses of Sergio Ramos (he is recovering from a strong blow to his right ankle produced during the final of the Super Cup last 12), Asensio and Hazard (both are in the final phase of their respective recovery processes) , Madrid completed its second and final training before measuring itself to the Unionists of Salamanca in what will be his first Cup match. He also did not exercise Álvaro Odriozola, who seems to be going out in this winter market, to be able to have minutes. Yes, Sergio López, a defender of Castilla, and Rafa Marín, also a Sevilla defender from Juvenil B, did so and arrived in Madrid in 2016.
The CD Lugo has announced that it will submit an official complaint to the Spanish Football Federation for the arbitration of the match of this Saturday with Extremadura, in which he lost by a revised goal by the VAR. The Galician team has explained that it is preparing this report and in the chronicle of the party that has published on its official website, the VAR is responsible for the defeat. “The locals were ahead on the scoreboard with a goal marked by the controversy, since first the referee at the request of his line canceled it out of play and it was the VAR who considered it valid”, points out the Lugo text. With the defeat against Extremadura, Lugo goes down to the penultimate position of the classification and the permanence in a category is complicated in which has been since 2012. The technician, Curro Torres, upset with the arbitration, he assured in wheel after the game they don’t want to be “helped” but neither they are going to “allow” to be “harmed”. “We are small but they will not be able to with us”, said the rojiblanco coach, who was expelled for the referee of the match, Ocón Arráiz, for double yellow, both for “make observations and gestures of disapproval” to the referee’s decisions.Further, the side Gerard Valentín complained after the game of a possible penalty: “There is a small touch, just to unbalance and twist the ankle, but the referee does not interpret it as a penalty “.
RB Leipzig achieved a very prestigious victory by defeating (0-1) Tottenham, current runner-up in Europe, in the first leg of the Champions League round of 16 thanks to a goal by Timo Werner from the penalty spot, although the Germans deserved better luck and have achieved a wider income.The team led by the young Julian Nagelsmann, revelation in the Bundesliga last and second season today, was absolute dominator of the match and put the ropes against the London team, especially in the first half. Between Schick and scorer Werner, the defense of the ‘Spurs’ did not live his best night and ended up blushing.At the first minute the Leipzig warned with a shot that ended at the base of the post and at the quarter of an hour came the second attempt with another throw that touched the stick. The intentions were clear from the beginning before the conformism and helplessness of the locals, who again missed their two best players: Harry Kane and Son Heung-min. Nagelsmann’s people despaired of the Spurs throughout the matchThe German, on penalty, put the only goal in one way that could be decisive Photo: Reuters The Germans, with less possession of the ball in the second round, were more practical and evidenced the multitude of defensive problems of the Mourinho team. Werner had a great time in the Tottenham area and ended up finding the prize when game time was around. On this occasion, his partner Laimer was the great protagonist.Davies pounced on him and ended up overwhelming the Leipzig player. The referee did not hesitate and pointed out the penalty point. Werner was right and the ‘Spurs’ reacted quickly. His best argument was the former Betis, Lo Celso, who led the list of occasions with two shots from the front and a foul that stopped Gulacsi with mastery.This logical reaction of the Londoners came while Leipzig did not finish hitting the key to crush his rival and achieve what would have been an almost definitive result. Schick forgave the second with a shot in the heart of the area and Poulsen could have nailed the stake to his opponent if he had been faster in the prolongation time.The second of the Germans did not arrive, but neither did the Tottenham tie, which has greatly complicated their survival in the best competition in the world. The English will have to turn Germany upside down if they want to repeat, at least, their performance in the ‘Champions’ last year.DATA SHEET– OUTCOME: Tottenham 0-1 Leipzig (Werner 58 ‘p.)–TOTTENHAM: Lloris, Aurier, Alderweireld, Sanchez, Davies, Winks, Gedson (Ndombele 64 ‘), Lo Celso, Dele Alii (Lamela 64’), Bergwijn and Lucas Moura.–LEIPZIG: Gulacsi, Mukiele, Klostermann, Halstenberg, Angeliño, Sabitzer, Laimer (Forsberg 83 ‘), Ampadu, Nkunku (Haidara 64’), Schick (Poulsen 77 ‘) and Werner.–REFEREE: Cüneyt Çakir. Yellow card with Sabitzer, Werner and Nkunku in Leipzig; and Lo Celso, Davies and Lamela in Tottenham.–STADIUM: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
The New Zealand Football Federation put an end to the ocean nation’s Premier League due to the coronavirus pandemic and the danger this poses for soccer players and fans. “Auckland City, leader with 37 points, is declared champion, which gives it a place in the next edition of the OFC Champions League“, announced on its official website the competition, which claimed to have agreed on the decision” with clubs and the government’s medical council. “ Auckland City thus added the 11th Premiership of its history, which came under the baton of the Spanish José Manuel Figueira and with Eñaut Zubikarai, Angel Berlanga Y Albert Riera in the template. Despite being benefited by the resolution Ivan Vukisch, president of the New Zealand entity, declared feeling “disappointed”. “No one wanted the season to end this way. Team Wellington was very close and Waitakere United, Eastern Suburbs AFC, Tasman United, Hamilton Wanderers and Southern United were fighting for a ‘play-off’ spot,” said the manager.The ‘Navy Blues’, who were awarded the Charity cup just a few days ago after defeating Eastern Suburbs 0-2, they were leaders, although only three points separated them from second place. At the time of suspension, two games remain for the end of the regular season. If everything had continued normally, the play-offs for the title would have been played later. Auckland was already affected by the suspension of the OFC Champions League, postponed until May 6.
Miguel Cifuentes ‘Cifu’ returns to the starting point. The brave side of Malaga has been again evicted from the comfort zone and is again forced to row against the current. The appearance of Ismael Casas and the confidence of Sergio Pellicer in the youth squad have relegated him to the substitution, role that did not play for more than a year and a half.But the current situation is not a new one for Granada. Since arriving in Malaga in January 2016, there have been many times when he has not been among the preferences of the different blue and white coaches. In fact, he had to go out in search of minutes to Girona six months after his signing (summer 2016) and in January 2018 he left, also on loan, to Albacete.After relegation to the Second Division and due to the problems the club encountered in restructuring the team, given the high number of high chips in the squad Muñiz ended up betting on him as the team’s first right-back and Cifu responded showing good performance. He had an injury that had him six games out of combat and some ups and downs that promptly brought him to the bench for the benefit of Iván Rodríguez. But ended up playing 25 games and earning his contract renewal until June 30, 2022. This season, with Iván Rodríguez not registered due to the club’s problems with the salary limit, he remained the only right-back of the first team and started again with the indisputable vitola. But after Pellicer’s arrival his status as a holder has been questioned. Some physical problems separated him from Málaga – Numancia on February 9 and the young Ismael Casas took advantage of it to keep the position.In the last five games, Cifu only played the second half in Las Palmas. The rest of the minutes were for Ismael Casas, whom Pellicer knows perfectly from his time in the subsidiary. The coach has high hopes for the youth squad, which at the moment is more than complying. Cifu, once again, has to reinvent himself and overcome the role of substitute.